"PEN is consistently the best, most unified source of need-to-know information regarding PUSD." – PEN member
PEN is a unique organization that was founded by parents, for parents, in 2006. The founding parents’ mission was, and still is, to promote parent involvement in public education in the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) so all children benefit.
The Pasadena Education Network (PEN) is a nonprofit grassroots organization whose mission is to promote family participation in public education to ensure a quality education for all students in Pasadena, Altadena and Sierra Madre.
PEN provides unbiased information, parent education programs, and services that make it easy for parents to explore and evaluate our public schools, and engage as effective partners with Pasadena Unified public schools and the district.
Full family and community participation is critical to strong public schools.
Pasadena, Altadena, and Sierra Madre need strong public schools that serve all children in order to be a strong community.
All children benefit from an education that is culturally, socio-economically, and racially diverse.
Families need easy access to credible information about public schools from a trusted source so that they can make informed decisions about their children’s education.
Parent engagement and involvement are critical components for academic success for all students.
· By creating a sustainable network of parent leaders from all backgrounds, academic improvements can be implemented now and for generations to come.
We’re committed to providing parents with the tools and skills that they need to not only serve their individual interests, but to serve the common good of all students.
Programs and Services
PEN is an organization that connects families with information, with schools and the district, and with each other. Our programs and services include:
- Parent education programs for families transitioning to kindergarten
- Parent education programs for families transitioning to middle school
- Training to help parents become effective partners with their schools and the district
- Advocating for parent engagement in the Pasadena Unified School District
- Empowering parents to advocate for their student and all students
- Weekly e-newsletter
- School Fact Sheets and other resource information important to parents
- Parent Ambassadors to connect parents with one another
- Networking opportunities
- School Tours
- Collaborate with Pasadena Unified School District to represent a parent voice
Our member survey results show the positive impact that PEN has:
- 98% gained a better understanding of public schools because of PEN
- 94% improved their perception of PUSD schools
- 92% said that PEN’s parent education programs met or exceeded their expectations
- PEN members have a significantly higher rate of volunteerism at their schools. Where district-wide PTA membership is 28% of the student population, 88% of PEN members are involved with their PTA and 75% volunteer in other ways at their schools.
- Nearly 100% said they would recommend PEN to other families, or already had
Click here to read our Annual Report